Yemi Osinbajo, the Vice President of Nigeria, has said he would soon declare his stance on running for the Presidency in 2023.
The Vice President disclosed this through his spokesman, Laolu Akande, while responding to questions from State House correspondents on Tuesday.
Akande said the Vice President was currently committed to his job of working with President Muhammadu Buhari.
“Well, like he has said up to this time, he is committed to the work that he is elected as Vice President and to support the President.
“That is what he is focused on now; and like I have also said in my last tweet, whatever will be his activities or whatever he would do will be communicated officially soon,” he said.
President Muhammadu Buhari, had on Sunday, said Osinbajo was now in charge of the country.
This is even as the President departs the country to the United Kingdom for a medical checkup.
His departure had earlier been announced by the Special Adviser to the President, Femi Adesina.
It is, however not clear if Buhari already transmitted a letter to the National Assembly handing over power to Osinbajo pending his return to the country.
Buhari had said, “Well, I cannot claim to be doing the work alone. The government is fully represented. The Vice President is there.
“Constitutionally, when I’m away, he’s in charge. Then, we have the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and then the Chief of Staff, so, there’s no problem.”
Since he assumed office on May 29, 2015, Buhari has embarked on medical trips abroad several times, covering a period of no fewer than 200 days of the six years he has been in power.