- Joseph Akinfenwa Donus better known as Joeboy is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, entertainer, stage performer, and recording artiste. He sings mainly R&B and Afropop and started singing when he was just 16 years old, releasing his first song at 17
- According to him, he was inspired by 9ice and ID Cabasa, with whom he used to hand out in the studio with and his ‘Shape Of You’ cover was a huge success.
Early Life & Education
- Joeboy was born on the 21st of May, 1997 into a Yoruba family in Lagos State Nigeria. Joeboy is 23 as of 2020.
- He graduated from the University of Lagos (UNILAG) where he studied Human Resource, Joeboy grew up in a music-loving family – his dad played keyboard/piano in church while his elder brother sang in the choir.
- Joeboy started singing when he was 16 years old, At 17, he released his first-ever afrobeat song titled “Gbeseyin”. He continued with doing short music covers and sharing on social media.
- Joeboy was discovered by Mr. Eazi in 2017 after watching an Instagram video of his cover to Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You“.
- He signed with Mr Eazi’s funding and mentorship program emPawa100, becoming one of 10,000 applicants from 14 countries.. Joeboy was the first of 100 recipients to earn a share of a $300,000 grant.
- Joeboy released Mr Eazi assisted track “Fààjí” on October 26, 2018; he used his portion of the grant he received from emPawa100 to shoot a video for the song.
- Joeboy’s single “Baby” was released on March 1, 2019, and has 20 million streams on YouTube and Spotify in 2019. The music video for “Baby” surpassed 16 million views on YouTube.
- On August 15, 2019. He followed up with “Beginning” a song that featured by Beats 1’s host, Ebro Darden. Joeboy’s Begining was earned the number one spot on Apple’s Music in Nigeria and Uganda.
- Joeboy released his EP titled Play Love & Light in November 2019. It was released by emPawa Africa and was supported by the singles “Baby” and “Beginning”.
- The EP also contains the Mayorkun assisted track “Don’t Call Me” and “All for You”.
- Joeboy won Best Artiste in African Pop at the 2019 All Africa Music Awards and Best Pop at the 2020 Soundcity MVP Awards Festival.
Awards & Nominations
- He was nominated 4 times in 2019 Headies award as “Next Rated”-Himself, “Best Pop Single”-Baby, “Song of the Year”-Baby, “Viewer’s Choice”-Beginning and he didn’t win any of the categories.
- Joeboy won Best Artiste in African Pop at the 2019 All Africa Music Awards
- He was nominated with “Baby” at 2 different categories in Popular Song of the Year and Most Promising Act Of the Year. Also nominated with “Himself” in 2 different categories Best New Act of the Year and Revelation of the Year.
- He was nominated as Best New Mvp with “Himself” while he won Best Pop at the 2020 Soundcity MVP Awards Festival with “Himself”.
- He was also nominated in the 2020 Soundcity Mvp Awards Festival with Beginning at Listeners Choice category and Baby as Song of the Year.
Joeboy Net Worth
Joeboy is fast-rising into the hall of fame as his primary source of income, for now, is his music. Joeboy net worth is not accurate but it was estimated to be $85,000.