Overview Of: Buhari will speak on Lekki shootings - Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare
The Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, says the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (RETD.), will speak to Nigerians on the Lekki shootings when he has all the facts on the incident.
Dare made this known on Friday while speaking on Arise TV programme monitored by The PUNCH.
Buhari addressed the nation on Thursday but has since come under fire by many who described his speech as one lacking empathy.
The President has also been fiercely criticised for keeping silent on the Lekki toll gate shootings of Tuesday night. Eyewitnesses said soldiers opened fire on #EndSARS protesters demonstrating against police brutality and seeking the reform of the Nigeria Police Force.
Dare said the President had ordered an investigation into the Tuesday night incident at the Lekki toll gate.
When asked about the Lekki shootings incident, the minister said, “For sure, the President has ordered for an investigation. He had a National Security Meeting yesterday (Friday). I can tell you that this is ongoing already.
“The President wants to have the facts and that is going to be made public.
“It is going to be difficult to hide all these facts because we live in a multimedia world and we have evidence, collaborations, and all of that, and I think it is important to get the facts right.
“That is the path that the President has toed and I am sure that when these facts are made available, this President because he has integrity, will level with the Nigerian people about what happened on Tuesday in Lekki.”
At least 30 persons were wounded in the attack, according to the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who visited the injured youths at various hospitals in the Lekki area earlier in the week.
The eyewitnesses also said at least seven persons died in the shootings.
Tuesday night attack has been condemned by both local and international civil rights organisations and personalities.