Global News

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Six More Persons Rescued As Death Toll Rises To 42

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Six More Persons Rescued As Death Toll Rises To 42 (Updated: 7 months ago)


No less than six more people have been rescued from from the 21-storey building that collapsed in Ikoyi, Lagos State.

The State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, revealed this.

According to a statement on Saturday, the number of people rescued from the collapsed building has now increased to 15.

Sanwo-Olu, however, stated that the death toll from the building collapse increased to 42 as of 6pm on Saturday.

The statement was titled, ‘Sanwo-Olu names six more survivors in Ikoyi building collapse, raises number of those rescued to 15 …42 bodies recovered from rubbles so far”.

The statement quoted Sanwo-Olu as giving the update on the search and rescue operation at the scene in company of the National Leader of the Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, and Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule.

He said “the additional six people were evacuated alive from the collapsed structure”.

According to him, the survivors are presently being treated at the Police Hospital in Falomo, Ikoyi.

He said, “There are additional six people that we’ve also been able to identify and who were on site when the building collapsed. They were taken to the Police Hospital in Falomo for treatment and some of them have been discharged.

“We have taken the full records of survivors in the incident. And this gives a total of 15 people rescued alive. We have a total of 42 bodies that have been recovered.

“Among the latest survivors are a 38-year-old woman, Glory Samson. Others are Ndajor Ahmed, Yunusa Abubaka, Ajiboye Habib, Jeremiah Samson, and one man identified as Emem. While most of them sustained varying degrees of injury, Samson, 20, is said to be in a coma.”

Sanwo-Olu added that 49 families had filled the missing persons’ register as of Saturday morning.

He said the register had helped the State Government to reconcile the details of victims rescued alive and also medically account for bodies recovered.

The Governor added that identification of bodies by relatives had commenced, adding that DNA examination was being undertaken on some of the bodies difficult to be identified by their families.

“There is a sum of money that has been reserved by the State Government for succour and to give for befitting burial for those who died in the incident. Families that so wish to accept it are being supported for the burial arrangement. Also, survivors in hospitals have been given the financial support to help them settle and cope with challenges of feeding in the aftermath of the incident,” he added.

Meanwhile, the search and rescue operation continued at the site, but the heap had receded sharply.

Add a coment

Recent Posts

Tonto Dikeh
Tonto Dikeh
Viktoh
Viktoh
Johnny Drille
Johnny Drille
Chidinma
Chidinma
Sarz
Sarz
Adol
Adol
Timaya
Timaya
Wurld
Wurld
Mr Eazi
Mr Eazi
Phyno
Phyno
Tiwa Savage
Tiwa Savage
Liya
Liya
Danny S
Danny S
Victony
Victony
BigerTinz
BigerTinz
Diamond...
Diamond...
Rudeboy
Rudeboy
L.A.X
L.A.X
Sola Allyson
Sola Allyson
KiDi
KiDi
Waconzy
Waconzy
Juls
Juls
Deshinor
Deshinor
Dre San
Dre San
Buju
Buju
Moelogo
Moelogo
Danny Young
Danny Young
Drizz Ace
Drizz Ace
Toby Grey
Toby Grey
Ayra Starr
Ayra Starr
Mz Kiss
Mz Kiss
JeriQ
JeriQ
Popcaan
Popcaan
Saheed Osupa
Saheed Osupa
Diamond Jimma
Diamond Jimma
Cheque
Cheque
Davolee
Davolee
Niniola
Niniola
Trod
Trod
Emma Nyra
Emma Nyra
NAIJAKIT.COM

Trending Posts