Mesut Ozil has officially confirmed his move to Fenerbahce, bringing to an end his topsy-turvy seven-and-a-half year stay at Arsenal.
The 32-year-old, who had not featured for Arsenal since March 7, joins the Turkish club on a free transfer after his £350,000-a-week Gunners contract was terminated.
While the news has not yet been officially confirmed by either club, Ozil has now officially spoken out about the move, admitting he is ‘very excited’ in an interview with Turkish television channel NTV, also confirming that he will arrive in Istanbul on Monday morning.
‘I am a Fenerbahce fan. That is why I am very happy to be coming to Turkey with Fenerbahce,’ Ozil said. ‘I’m very excited. God gave me the chance to wear this jersey as a Fenerbahce fan. God willing, I will carry it with honour and do everything I can for the team,’ he added.
‘Of course, I’m missing a few matches. I haven’t played in a match in a while, but I am physically fit, I have no issues,’ he said, adding he had been training with the first team at Arsenal during his time off the pitch.
It brings to an end Ozil’s long and controversial spell in north London, where he won three FA Cups and one Community Shield following his arrival in a then club-record £42.5million deal from Real Madrid under Arsene Wenger.