Three #EndSARS protesters arraigned for attempted murder in Ogun State have been freed after the intervention of Governor Dapo Abiodun.
The three protesters were on Monday arraigned before the Isabo Magistrate’s Court in Abeokuta and were charged on four counts including attempted murder.
The police had accused the three protesters of attempting to kill one Ajagbusi Taofik by hitting him with dangerous weapons.
But in a post on his official Twitter page, Governor Abiodun said that all charges had been dropped against the three — Matairu Faruq, Olatoye Olalekan, and Adeniji Sodiq.
“On my instruction, the Attorney-General has reviewed the evidence in the investigation case file in respect of the three suspects that were remanded in a custodial centre on 12th October 2020. Ogun State has decided not to charge them with any offence,” he wrote.
“They are to be released immediately.”
Confirming their release, human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore said: “We just confirmed from the Attorney-General of Ogun State, Akingbolahan Adeniran, that the charge of attempted murder against three protesters has been withdrawn for want of evidence.
“The Ogun State CP @PoliceNG has assured that the suspects would be released.
“Comrades, let’s remain vigilant! Let the struggle continue, we will not leave any of our comrades behind and we will not stop this struggle until we achieve total liberation! #SARSMUSTEND #RevolutionNow.”